2018-04-29 - 22:00h to 2019-06-20 - 15:21h
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : COMMUNICATIONS/ASSISTANT PROJECT OFFICER
Duty station: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Duration of initial contract: 30 months (with 3 months’ probation)
Start date: 1st June, 2018
WASCAL (West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use) is a research and education-focused institution designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of ten West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d‘Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
With the support of its partners, WASCAL is implementing the following projects:
1) the UPSCALERS Project (“Upscaling Site-Specific Climate-smart Agriculture and Land use practices to Enhance Regional Production Systems in West-Africa”). The project will contribute to innovative research services and guidance in positioning smallholder farming as an asset for agricultural intensification and food security with a case study transect across Burkina Faso and Mali. The UPSCALERS project is funded by the AUC under the research Grant Contract No AURG II-1-074-2016, and
2) the CIREG project (“the CIREG project “Climate Information for Integrated Renewable Electricity Generation”). This project investigates context-specific climate information services and economic feasibility of different renewable electricity generation options based on local case studies and sustainable business models demonstrator. CIREG projected is funded by the German Ministry of Education & research through ER4CS (European Research Area for Climate Services)
Key duties and responsibilities:
Under the responsibility of the Director of research, and the supervision of the Coordinator of CIREG/UPSCALERS projects at WASCAL, the Communications/Assistant Project management officer will:
1. Develop effective project communication strategy for UPSCALERS project;
2. Support the design of UPSCALERS project Website and e-presence initiatives (social media);
3. Design & updating of posters, factsheets, quarterly newsletter, brochures, social media networks for CIREG & UPSCALERS project;
4. Write, consolidate, edits/proof-read CIREG/USPCALERS projects reports & publications;
5. Translation of documents and updating the official CIREG project website;
6. Facilitate liaison between WASCAL, partner institutions and local partners on the CIREG project;
7. Monitor and evaluate project activities in WASCAL demonstration sites with the CIREG project coordinator at WASCAL;
8. Manage internal communications of CIREG project (memos, newsletters, invitations etc.);
9. Organize stakeholder dialogue initiatives and plan in CIREG case study countries (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Niger and Togo);
10. In charge of media relations
11. Support WASCAL fund raising initiatives;
12. Undertake any other duty that may be assigned.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Project management, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- A minimum of three year’ experience in communications strategy development, project management in the fields of climate information, energy, agriculture or related fields
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French
- Knowledge of digital marketing tactics, web design, e-presence and social media
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Experience working in customer relations and multicultural work environment preferred
Must be citizen of a WASCAL member country (see www.wascal.org).
All applications including cover letter, curriculum vitae, names and contact information of three referees should be emailed to email@example.com. Please indicate “Communications/Assistant Project Officer” in the subject line. You may visit www.wascal.org for further information. This position is a local position.
Applications will be accepted till 15th May, 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.